BREASOLA FIG & WATERCRESS SALAD
- 6 purple figs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra, to drizzle
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 12 slices bresaola (see note)
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 2 cups watercress sprigs or rocket
- 25g (1/3 cup) shaved parmesan
- 2 tablespoons Asian fried shallots (see note)
- Preheat grill to high. Tear figs in half. Place, torn-side up, on a lightly oiled oven tray, then drizzle with extra oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then grill for 5 minutes or until warmed through.
- Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice, oil and a pinch of salt in a small bowl.
- Arrange bresaola, prosciutto, watercress and parmesan on a large platter. Top with figs, then drizzle over dressing. Scatter over shallots and stand for 15 minutes to allow flavours to develop. Divide among plates to serve.
Top tips: Bresaola, a cured, air-dried beef, is from the Lombardy region of Italy. It is available from delis and the deli section of supermarkets. Substitute salami.
Fried shallots are from Asian food shops and supermarkets.